Parsippany DWI Defense Attorney
Driving While Intoxicated in New Jersey: N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 and 39:4-50.4a
New Jersey deals harshly with intoxicated drivers. Driving while intoxicated, also known as driving under the influence, is treated very seriously and law enforcement and prosecutors will aggressively pursue the harshest penalties for individuals accused of DWI. It is of vital importance that you enlist a Parsippany defense attorney to forcefully protect your rights.
My team at The Law Offices of Christopher G. Porreca, P.C. helps clients with all types of DWI cases, including:
DWI charges and penalties are largely determined by your blood alcohol content, or BAC, at the time of your arrest. The penalties for DWI can affect you for years to come and may even result in a jail sentence depending on the circumstances.
New Jersey Drunk Driving Penalties
Some of the penalties you may face include:
- For a first offense with a BAC of between .08 % and .10 %, you may be imposed fines of up to $400 along with detainment of between 12 and 48 hours. Following a conviction, you may be forced to serve up to 30 days in jail, attend addictions counseling, and installation of ignition interlock device (IID) for up to three months (indefinite driver's license suspension until IID is installed). If you permit someone who is under the influence to operate your vehicle, you may also be found guilty of DWI.
- For a first offense with a BAC of more than .10 % but less than .15 %, a conviction results in fines of up to $500, a maximum 30-day jail term, and the use of IID for a period between seven months and one year (indefinite driver's license suspension until IID is installed).
- For a first offense with a BAC of more than .15 %, a conviction leads to fines of up to $500, a jail term of up to 30 days, driver's license suspension between four and six months, and have an IID installed during and after the suspension between nine and 15 months.
- A second DWI offense can lead to fines of up to $1,000 along with detainment for 48 hours. If convicted, you may be facing a 90-day jail term, community service, and license forfeiture ranging from one to two years (IID installation is required both during and following the forfeiture period). Once the forfeiture period is over and your driver's license is reinstated, the IID must remain installed for an additional term between two and four years.
- For a third or subsequent offense, you may be fined up to $1,000 and will serve a minimum 180 day sentence in jail or a workhouse. You will also lose your license for eight years and be forced to participate in a drug or alcohol inpatient rehabilitation program. IID installation is required both during and following the forfeiture period. Once the forfeiture period is over and your driver's license is reinstated, the IID must remain installed for an additional term between two and four years.
The judge has discretion in many of the penalties that can result from DWI cases. The legal punishments can be harsh but the consequences do not end there. Your insurance rates will dramatically increase costing you for many years to come. My firm, The Law Offices of Christopher G. Porreca, P.C. understands what you are facing. I am very well-versed in DWI cases and I will work with you to zealously pursue the most favorable possible outcome.
Being charged with DWI is an embarrassing and stressful situation that can damage your reputation and your future. Along with court imposed DWI penalties, if your career involves driving, your job itself may be in jeopardy. There are several potential DWI defense strategies including challenging BAC test results or rights violations that could be involved in the police stop. I will thoroughly evaluate your case to determine if your rights were violated. My firm will access every possible resource to assist you in seeking the best possible outcome when you have been charged with DWI.
Contact us today to learn about the available defense options if you were charged with drunk driving in New Jersey.
I can't thank him enough for his guidance and reassurance throughout this situation.- Megan
He was there for me every step of the way.- N.M.
Best Criminal attorney in New Jersey!- Linda